Why is it that every time friends and family come to Austin, I find myself on a Mexican and BBQ food tour? All the sudden I'm eating the famous cookie from "so and so's", and before I know it, I feel like I've sabotaged all my hard work for the week. Finally, I had to draw the (County) Line <--- that's a BBQ joke for you. I've created this list of healthy things to do and places to eat so you can save yourself the diet sabotage of the dreaded family visits!
- Barton Springs: even if it's too cold to swim, it's super cheap and fun just to go look at it.
- Walk/shop South Congress (get an almond milk latte at Jo's, take pics, look at all the strange trinkets)
- Bowling but you should refuse to wear the shoes.. for so many reasons.
- If they're into crafts, check out these workshops.
- Town Lake: I always take people here to walk the lake with a juice, stand up paddle board, or see the bats.
- Thai Fresh for dessert (all gluten/dairy free... still lots of sugar but a completely improved choice)
- Movies: Alamo obvi (get the Turkish tea - it's good, they give you a teapot and you can still get the hand to mouth motion during the movie. If you want a free meal, eat at a restaurant afterward so you're not eating in the dark!); Violet Crown (nice small popcorns!), or the Blue Starlite (drive-in in south Austin -- super fun, lots of classic movies, BYO snacks and drinks so the ball is in your court!)
- Hiking (Google this - there are a million trail entrances that are fun and easy)
- Cooking Class: Whole Foods, Sur la Table, Thai Fresh all do classes!
- Peter Pan Mini Golf: super fun, also BYO snacks and drinks (Topochico for you!)
- Comedy Show: Cap City comedy has a 2 drink minimum (but tell them you're not drinking and they'll just charge a small fee) but there are open mics all over the city every single night
- Farmers Market: go get ingredients and make a big healthy meal / stay in and catch up?
- Blanton Museum: super fun and certainly worth seeing! You might even want to check out the Texas History Museum you are into it.
- University of Texas games: see if you can catch a basketball, hockey, football game?
- Round Rock Express: super fun minor league team... great for when the weather is warm and they are playing at home
- Austin Library: I haven't been yet but it's downtown and sooo pretty! I want to go walk around and explore.
- City Bikes - rent bikes at the little stations downtown and cruise around and explore!
- Book People: funky bookstore guests love checking out...
- Whole Foods Flagship store: again, might be lame to us but a lot of people are super impressed from out of town. They do goat yoga there on the rooftop too!
- Axe Throwing: It's pretty new and looks like a blast - haven't done it yet but it's walk-ins during the week and BYOB. Again, bring what you want!
- Do512.com is a great resource when you're looking for specific dates.
- If you want to check out a spa day at Travassa, it's pretty amazing... you get access to the pool/sauna for the day as well.
For healthy restaurants, I love to take my people to True Food Kitchen, Perla's, Fresa's, and Josephine House.
If you try anything of these activities or restaurants, let me know how you like them!!
Weekly Cookup: this is where I share my weekly meal prep so you can swipe ideas, get inspired, or invite yourself over to my house (I’m not sharing!).
Thinly Sliced Sirloin with Cooked Spinach and Arugula Salad - I don’t have a recipe for this I’m just going to wing it. I’m going to ask the people at the meat counter at Whole Foods to slice the sirloin for me so it’s an easy cook and serve.
Spaghetti Squash with Puttanesca Sauce and Fresh Basil with a Side Salad - This is a twist on your regular ol’ tomato sauce. All you do is add olives and capers! I wanted to sneak in another veggie so I added a chopped eggplant. You can make a serving of gluten-free pasta and mix it in with the squash so you feel like you are eating real pasta.
Chicken Stew Provencal - I made some modifications to this recipe. I used gluten free flour, added red potatoes to the crockpot and am going to serve it with a side of cauliflower.
SIGN UP for FREE Updates, and get My Conscious Eating Blueprint + Weight Loss Meditation to stop the yo-yo dieting and finally have the body you deserve!
My Conscious Eating Blueprint + Weight Loss MeditationStop the yo-yo dieting and finally have the body you deserve!