Recipes that are all gluten & dairy free
Balsamic and Onion Pot Roast
- 2-3 lb boneless chuck roast
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup filtered water (to deglaze pan)
- 1 large onions, thickly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (reduced to 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 4 cups Swiss chard or collard greens
- Rub meat well with salt, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Heat heavy pan with small amount of oil and brown roast well on both sides. This will take a few minutes; don't rush the browning step.
- While roast browns, put 1 cup beef stock in saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, then let cool slightly and mix in balsamic vinegar and tomatoes.
- Peel onions and cut into thick slices.
- When the meat is brown on all sides, remove the meat and then deglaze pan with 1/4 cup water. Add the pan drippings to sauce mixture.
- Place onions and greens in bottom of slow cooker. Put meat on top of onions and pour beef stock mixture over.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until beef is tender. The meat might be partly submerged in liquid after this much time.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Drain liquid from Crockpot and remove as much of the fat as you can with fat separator or skimmer.
- Cook down liquid by about 1/3, and serve sauce with meat and onions.
Posted To: Entree