African Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup
Recipe by Eats Well with Others
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1/2 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 lb dried black beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
- 1/2 qt veggie broth
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 medium lime, juiced
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the curry paste and cinnamon. Stir for a minute so that the olive oil gets infused with spice.
- Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, bell pepper, and jalapeño.
- Stir and cook the veggies for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened.
- Add the beans and broth.
- Melt the nut butter by mixing it with 1/2 cup boiling water. Add that to the mix.
- Add the red pepper flakes and cilantro.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then cover and simmer.
- Cook until veggies are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper.
Posted To: Entree, Vegetarian