Recipes that are all gluten & dairy free
African Chicken Stew
Recipe by Well Fed 2
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1 piece ginger (1/2-inch), grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cups crushed tomatoes (canned)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Add coconut oil and allow it to melt.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and brown on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a bowl to catch the juices.
- In the same pot, cook the onions and ginger until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, coriander, cayenne and bay leaf, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and water, stirring to combine.
- Nestle the chicken into the sauce, along with the juices.
- Increase the heat to bring the pot to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the cauliflower into florets and place in a food processor.
- Pulse until a rice-like consistency is reached.
- Toss with grapeseed oil and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cauliflower starts to brown. Remove and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and cut into pieces.
- Add the sunflower seed butter and vanilla to the pot and mix to combine.
- Return the chicken to the pot and cover.
- Heat through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and sprinkle with parsley and sunflower seeds.
Posted To: Entree