African Curried Coconut and Chickpea Soup
Recipe by Submitted by Meg Griffith Washburn
- 1-2 tbsp ghee (coconut oil for vegan)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups spinach or kale
- In a medium stockpot, heat the ghee over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalepeno; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add the broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, curry powder, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Posted To: Entrees, Vegetarian