Recipes that are all gluten & dairy free
Bibimbap (“Bee Beem Bop”)
Recipe by Pooja Mottl from Vital Farms
This dish is a rainbow of colors, tastes, aromas and textures – an unbelievable main course that is guaranteed to make your taste buds sing.
- 4 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 eggs (omit for vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- 2 tsp gomasio*
- 2 tsp gochujang**
- 1 sheet nori, torn into small pieces
- In a large sauté pan, warm teaspoon of oil, then cook eggs over well (or to your liking).
- Remove egg from pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add rice and cook a few minutes until thoroughly warmed, making sure to spread rice throughout pot to ensure all grains get coated with oil.
- If you need to use a touch more oil at this stage, go ahead.
- Remove rice and transfer to large mixing bowl or serving bowl.
- Add remaining oil and warm over medium heat.
- Add garlic and carrots, and cook over high heat for a few minutes.
- Then add red peppers, scallions and mushrooms and cook for another two minutes.
- Add spinach and continue to cook until all leaves have wilted and mushrooms and carrots soften.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to bowl with rice. Stir to combine.
- Add gomasio, gochujang, crinkled nori, and hot chili paste, mix to thoroughly combine.
- Place fried egg over top of vegetable mix.
- Top with gochujang (Eden brand), or you can find at a Korean or Asian grocery or online. If you don’t have access to it in your vicinity, you may use hot chili or hot pepper sauce and a honey as a substitute.
Posted To: Entree