Recipes that are all gluten & dairy free
Braised Beef and Brussels Sprouts Stew
Recipe by Whole Foods Market
- 1/2 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season beef cubes with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon ghee to a Dutch oven, add beef cubes and sear until browned on each side (you may need to sear meat in batches to prevent crowding the pan).
- Transfer beef to a bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of broth to the pan and scrape up brown caramelized bits from the bottom.
- Simmer to reduce by half.
- Pour over meat.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of ghee to the pan.
- Over high heat, add onions, celery and carrots.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- After about 3 or 4 minutes, add garlic and allow vegetables to soften slightly.
- Add beef mixture back to pan along with beef broth and return to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and transfer to preheated oven.
- After about 10 minutes, check stew to make sure it is slowly simmering in your oven (don't boil the stew or it will toughen meat).
- Reduce oven temperature if needed to obtain a slow simmer.
- After an additional 20 minutes, add potatoes, Brussels sprouts and thyme.
- Return to the oven for another 40 minutes.
- If stew still has a lot of liquid, return the pan to the stove top and simmer with the lid off (this will help to reduce and thicken stew, as well as intensify flavor).
- Stir stew occasionally to prevent it from scorching on the bottom.
- After a total of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours cooking time, stew meat should be fork tender.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary and serve immediately.
Posted To: Entree