Vegan Refried Beans from Scratch
Recipe by Adapted from "Boiled Pinto Beans" in The New Vegetarian Epicure cookbook by Anna Thomas
- 1 lb dried beans: pinto, kidney or black beans
- pinch of baking soda
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, whole & peeled
- several branches of cilantro
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, more as needed
- Rinse the beans and put them in a pot with enough water to cover by a couple of inches, and the baking soda. Bring the water to a boil, let it boil for 5 minutes, then turn off heat, cover the pot, and let the beans soak for an hour.
- Add water until the beans are submerged. Add the onion, garlic, and cilantro, and simmer the beans for at least an hour, or until they are completely tender. Cooking time will vary with the age of the beans. Add more water as needed to keep the beans covered. Near the end of the cooking time, add the salt.
- Once the beans are tender, stop adding water. Keep simmering, uncovered and allow the water in the pot to evaporate. By now the onion, cilantro and garlic should be very soft and have started to disintegrate into the beans. Using a potato masher, start to periodically mash up the beans as the water continues to evaporate until the beans acquire your desired consistency.
Posted To: Entree, Sides, Vegetarian