Recipes that are all gluten & dairy free
Chili Cilantro Lime Chicken
Recipe by Paleo Pot
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 lime (to stuff the chicken with)
- 2 handfuls cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cups spinach, Swiss chard or collard greens
- Wash chicken off under cold tap water and then dry with paper towels.
- Dust your chicken with spices.
- There is no magic amount or formula to use, yet do try to cover the whole bird with some spice.
- In a blender or food processor, combine lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and oil.
- Pulse until an even consistency is reached.
- Take the extra lime and poke lots of holes into it with a fork.
- Now dust this lime with chili powder and stick it into the cavity of the chicken.
- Find a ziploc bag or crock pot liner large enough to hold the whole bird.
- Place the bird in the bag and pour the wet marinade over it.
- Use your hands to make sure the marinade is applied evenly around the chicken and under the skin, this is the important part.
- You can puncture the chicken breasts a few times with a knife for the marinade to seep into, yet this is not necessary.
- Making sure you get the marinade well applied and under the skin will do the trick.
- Seal the bag tight so that the marinade is making contact with the chicken all over.
- I used a crock pot liner bag which I pulled tight around the chicken and marinade, and then stuffed that into another large ziploc bag.
- Let the chicken marinate overnight.
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker along with any marinade left over in your bag. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add greens with one hour remaining.
- Serve over roasted vegetables, with salad, etc.!
Posted To: Entree