Lentil Walnut Taco Lettuce Wraps
Recipe by Oh She Glows
- 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 medium bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Add to a medium pot along with a few cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender (cook time will vary depending on the type of lentils you use - see package).
- Drain off excess water.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Add walnuts onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-13 minutes, watching closely, until lightly golden and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Add 1/2-1 tablespoon of oil into a large skillet or wok.
- Cook the onion and peppers over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, reducing heat if necessary and stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add cooked lentils and toasted walnuts into a food processor and pulse until chopped (make sure to leave texture).
- Stir or pulse in the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir in the oil and the water until combined.
- Prepare the rest of your vegetable toppings and wash + dry the lettuce wraps.
- Add a large lettuce leaf onto a plate, top with taco meat, sauteed peppers + onion, and the rest of your desired toppings.
Posted To: Entrees, Vegetarian